Thursday, September 6, 2007

The fun of seasonal produce

It's the beginning of September and it's grape season -- Okanagan Coronation grapes. I first had them when I came out to visit my wife last year and fell in love with them. They are have a tartness, that combined with the natural sweetness of grapes makes them highly addictive. I can't get enough of them -- it's like Christmas time for grapes.

One of the things that attracted me to Vancouver when I first moved here was the fact that produce seems to be more seasonal, and to an extent, grown locally. September is grapes. There's also peaches and other summer fruit. In Toronto I would always look forward to Fiddlehead season and Asparagus season (white and regular).

I'm still discovering all of the local produce here but it's like Christmas if you're a Foodie. Aside from the environmental benefits of locally grown produce, the anticipation of the new season. And because it's here for only a short time the flavours just seem to be more intense, more pleasurable. Once the summer season is gone, there is still other seasonal produce to look forward to -- Chinese Mandarines and Clementines in the winter. Where these are grown organically, the flavours also seem to be more intense. So here's raising a glass to local farmers and hoping that the organic movement, both here and abroad, gain momentum. My mouth is watering in anticipation. Merry Christmas.

No comments: