Thursday, December 7, 2006

Some humour in these times of terror

I happen to do a fair amount of travelling as a part of my job. Today I'm in Tampa, where the "Threat Advisory Level" is orange (high) and everyone is talking about the morass that is Iraq, and the bi-partisan committee report calling for the U.S. to get out by 2008 (Mr. Harper please take note).

Travelling anywhere in the United States these days has reached a level of drudgery that has removed any remaining joy from a life on the road. First there's the self-service kiosks which pretty require that you write your autobiography every time you enter the America. Then there's screening process which is now just short of a full strip and cavity search. Today in Tampa and removing my jacket, belt, shoes, watch and other item that looks like it might set security off, for what seems to be the millionth time (I used to joke about taking off my pants, but often as not the screeners now just look at you as if it might not be a bad idea.)

So I am more than pleasantly surprised by Ron, my security screener. Ron has an ironic, glib sense of humour. It starts by his asking everyone to place items on the table and he will place them in the colored bin of his choice (grey, grey, grey, grey or grey with a red stripe). No one is special including the wheelchair bound senior in front of me who is given an especially hard time for having three watches ("How many time zones are you travelling through today?" and "If I by 2 do I get the third one at 50% off?). In these overly serious times even bad jokes lighten the spirit.

My hope is that this is the start of a trend. How about hiring some Disney characters to make security fun for the whole family. Or better yet having everyone trained by Russel Peter's so that they're armed with something for travellers of every race and religion. So here's to you Ron. I hope you get your discount.

No comments: